.

8 Have Lined Up to Replace LaBonge in CD4 in 2015

The councilman is set to term out after 14 years.

By City News Service

A City Council candidate said Friday he has collected $40,500 in support of his bid to replace Councilman Tom LaBonge in the 4th District, which contains Hollywood parts of the San Fernando Valley.

Teddy Davis, an attorney and former spokesman for Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, said as of the end of last year, 144 people have contributed to his campaign in amounts ranging between $5 and $700.

The latest campaign finance filings are due Jan. 31. Davis said his filings will show that contributions streamed in from most corners of the newly redrawn district, including from the recently added Sherman Oaks area, where he attended school.

Davis, who is touting an endorsement by actor Ed Begley Jr., also highlighted financial backing from Hollywood industry figures such as "The Butler" screenwriter Danny Strong; actor David Berman and Maurissa Tancharoen Whedon, executive producer of the television show "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."

The election is set for Mar. 3, 2015 and while potential candidates have begun fundraising, they cannot officially declare their candidacy until Nov. 8.

LaBonge is set to term out after 14 years on the City Council, including two years finishing up the unexpired term of his former boss, the late City Councilman John Ferraro.

Davis is one of at least eight people who filed fundraising papers last fall in the 4th district race. Others who signaled there intent to run include LaBonge's chief-of-staff Carolyn Ramsay, Councilman Paul Koretz's chief-of- staff Joan Pelico, and Steve Veres, former trustee of the Los Angeles Community College District board.

Veres reported last October that he hit the $50,000 fundraising mark.


ruth January 18, 2014 at 02:36 AM
Is this the very same Hollywood garcetti claimed during his mayoral campaign that he saved and created into some Utopia? But it needs government funding? What about South Los Angeles? How did that area get left out in favor of Hollywood and East Hollywood? A non profit that will receive Promise funding will be his boss, Millennium's Hollywood Cap Park Board, in East Hollywood, guaranteed. South L.A. needed a Millennium project in their area... maybe then they would not have been snubbed.
ruth January 18, 2014 at 02:38 AM
Above comment on wrong story..
Scott Zwartz January 19, 2014 at 07:33 PM
One thing about Tom LaBonge -- whether one agreed with his actions, I think that everything knows that Tom has Hollywood's best interests at heart. Tom was not the driving force behind Hollywood's destruction -- that was Garcetti. While Garcetti turned his portion of Hollywood into such a crime riddled district, his district drove out so many people, that CD #13 ceased to be a legal council district. All of Hollywood's population loss came from Garcetti's area while Tom's area modest growth. Who says that Hollywood is crime riddled? Garcetti's own Promise Zone proposal!
bill miller January 19, 2014 at 09:57 PM
Crime and population stats submitted to get Promise funding for East Hollywood and Hollywood may not be so on the mark. As Garcetti falsified (Hollywood increase in) population stats to justify higher density in his illegal Hollywood Community Plan, the Plan the Hudge threw out and agreed the population stats were 'wishful thinking', the Plan that was Garcetti's baby that he manipulated the passing of, yet still has not had one comment about it being thrown out, should call into question if the crime and population stats submitted to get Promise funding to East Hollywood where Millennium's ('non profit') Cap Park are also 'falsified'. As far as LaBonge replacements..anyone not aligned with Garcetti and Millennium, who does not defend Millennium and the hundreds of thousands that Garcetti has gotten out of city council (last time at the request of LaBonge and O'Farrell, with Garcetti working it behind the scenes), anyone who will stand up to Garcetti, have a brain and a thought of their own, and not be his puppet, and not lie as LaBonge workers have, protecting Millennium and Garcetti, that all the money that has gone to Hollywood Cap Park so far is 'private funding' gets our vote.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »