The perpetrator of a prank phone call that sent dozens of officers to the Hollywood Hills home of actor Ashton Kutcher on a bogus report of a home invasion and shooting broke the law and should face stiff punishment, Los Angeles Police Department Chief Charlie Beck said Thursday.
Officers sent to the 3000 block of Arrowhead Drive about 11 a.m. Wednesday searched the multi-level residence and later determined that the call was a hoax.
Beck said his department intends "to prosecute to the full extent of the law" anyone found responsible for making the phony report.
"It should anger everybody," Beck said. "That is a crime."
LAPD Officer Cleon Joseph said the initial report of trouble came via a teletype message -- sent using a machine typically used by a person who is deaf or otherwise hearing-impaired -- received at the department's Hollywood Station. The message reported that shots had been fired and that the person sending the message was hiding in a closet.
Police officers, including a SWAT team and helicopter crew, swarmed to the scene, but one of the actor's assistants came outside and said there was no trouble inside. Police searched the home anyway and determined the only people in the home were workers.
Detectives will be assigned to the case and the teletype message traced in order to find out who made the false report, police said.
Kutcher posted a message on his Twitter page about 2:25 p.m. Wednesday, apparently in response to queries about his safety.
"Safe an(d) sound at 'Two and a Half Men.' Don't miss tomorrow night 8:30," Kutcher wrote on Wednesday. He included a photo of the CBS show's set.
The phony call was similar to an Aug. 1 hoax involving actress Miley Cyrus. On that day, someone called 911 and falsely reported a kidnapping and shooting at the residence, prompting a full response by police and firefighters. Police quickly determined no one was inside the home.