Avocados are truly one of California's greatest treasures.
Not only are they available in abundance (we're at the peak of the season) and at a great price point at the farmers' market, but they're also chocked full of healthy fats and nutrients.
This recipe pairs red snapper with avocado cream, which does not actually contain any cream. Rather, avocados are filled with so much glorious, healthy fat that they become like a cream when transformed into a sauce with lemon and cilantro.
The fish is breaded with panko (Japanese breadcrumbs), giving it great texture, and topped with the avocado xream. For an extra twist, the fish can be served over homemade gazpacho.
Panko-Crusted Red Snapper with Avocado Cream
Serves 2 people
Cooking time: about 30 minutes
- 2 fillets of red snapper (about 4-6 oz. each)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 avocado, seeded and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, packed
- 1/2 cup homemade gazpacho (optional)
- Heat the grapeseed oil in a saute or frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Rinse the snapper fillets and pat dry. Season them with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Working with one fillet at a time, coat the tenders with flour, shaking off any excess. Then, dip it in the egg mixture, also shaking off the excess. Finally, coat the fillet with the panko breadcrumbs. Repeat with the other fillet.
- Place the snapper in the pan, cooking for a few minutes on each side, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, to make the avocado cream, place the avocado, cumin, lemon juice, cilantro, a pinch of salt, and about two tablespoons of water in a food processor or blender. Puree the ingredients together, adding more water as needed for desired consistency.
- To serve, ladle a little gazpacho onto the bottom of a bowl (this step is optional). Top with a fillet and spoon some of the avocado cream on top. Finish with a little chopped cilantro and freshly ground pepper if desired. Enjoy!