The Academy Awards are still days away, but motorists in the Hollywood area are already encountering restrictions as preparations begin for the 85th Oscar ceremony.
Some alleys, sidewalks and curb lanes have already been closed near Hollywood Boulevard and Highland Avenue, but the big traffic headaches began Sunday night when Hollywood Boulevard closed between Orange Drive and Highland. The stretch will remain closed until 6 a.m. Feb. 26.
Other closures that took effect Sunday night are:
- The south sidewalk of Hollywood Boulevard between Orange and Highland, with the exception of an 8-foot pedestrian access
- The north sidewalk of Hollywood Boulevard directly in front of the Dolby Theatre portal
- The north sidewalk of Hollywood Boulevard from Highland to Orange, with the exception of an 8-foot pedestrian access
- The pedestrian mid-block crosswalk on Hollywood Boulevard between Highland and Orange
At 10 p.m. Monday, the Hawthorn Alley on the east side of the El Capitan Theatre closed from Hollywood Boulevard south 210 feet. At 12:01 a.m. Friday, Hawthorn Avenue will close between Highland and Orange.
On Saturday, the day before the show, a series of other closures will begin:
- Orchid Street will close from 60 feet south of Franklin Boulevard to Orchid Alley.
- Orange will close from Orchid Alley to Hollywood Boulevard.
- The north and south sidewalks of Hawthorn Avenue will close from Highland to Orange.
- The north sidewalk of Hollywood Boulevard will close completely from Highland to Orange.
- The west sidewalk of Highland will close from Johnny Grant Way south to Hollywood Boulevard.
- Johnny Grant Way from Highland to Orchid Street will close.
On Feb. 24, the following restrictions will take effect:
- The remainder of Hawthorn Alley from Orange to Highland will close.
- Orange will close from Hawthorn to Hollywood Boulevard.
- The north and south sidewalks of Hollywood Boulevard from Highland to 300 feet east of Highland will close.
- The south sidewalk of Hollywood Boulevard will close directly in front of the north-south running Hawthorn Alley.
- The east and west sidewalks of Highland from Hollywood Boulevard to Hawthorn will close.
- The east sidewalk of Highland will close from Yucca Street south to the alley.
- The north and south crosswalks on Hollywood Boulevard at the Highland intersection
- The northbound and southbound offramps of the 101 Freeway at Highland will close.
On Oscar Sunday, Metro Red Line trains will bypass the Hollywood and Highland station. Regular service will resume Feb. 25.
Metro bus routes along Hollywood Boulevard will be re-routed during the street closures.
—Patch editor Meredith Skrzypczak contributed to this report.