On Saturday and Sunday, the Hollywood Bowl will host the 33rd annual Playboy Jazz Festival. The two-day festival, emceed by Bill Cosby, will feature artists including Buddy Guy, The Roots and the Eddie Palmieri Salsa Orchestra.
Reunited acoustic rock band Dispatch will play the Greek Theatre on Sunday on their first tour in a decade. Concertgoers are likely to hear some new material from the band’s recently released EP. British rock group Jethro Tull plan a stop in Hollywood on Saturday to celebrate the 40th anniversary of its legendary album Aqualung, which it will perform in its entirety.
British soul singer Adele had planned two stops in Hollywood this week, but both have been canceled, along with the rest of her U.S. tour, due to “ongoing illness.”
Celtic punk rockers Flogging Molly, Sacramento metal band Deftones, German DJ Paul Van Dyk and English dance punk outfit Friendly Fires are among the wide variety of artists making waves this week.
Here is what’s happening in Hollywood’s music venues for the week of June 6 – June 12.
Monday, June 6:
- The Vaccines – Amoeba Music at 6 p.m.
- Flogging Molly, The Drowning Men – The Music Box at 8 p.m.
- Agnes Obel, Deap Valley, Liz Isenberg, Vio/Mire – Hotel Cafe at 8 p.m.
- The Elected, Agnes Obel, Them Jeans, Gayngs (DJ – Ryan Olson) – Bardot at 9 p.m.
Tuesday, June 7:
- Nick 13 (of Tiger Army) – Amoeba Music at 6 p.m.
- Stewboss, Chuck Lee Bramlet, Justin Trawick, Iron Rails – Hotel Café at 7 p.m.
- Autoerotique, Peacetreaty, Ali Love, New Ivory, Them Jeans, Heavy Accents (The Loft Series) – Dim Mak Studios at 10 p.m.
Wednesday, June 8:
- The Dilletantes, Sonos, Angel Taylor, Taylor Matthews, May McDonough – Hotel Café at 7 p.m.
Thursday, June 9:
- Matthewdavid –Amoeba Music at 7 p.m.
- Oak & Gorski, One Two, Mike Stocksdale, Stretford End, Rozzi Crane – Hotel Café at 7 p.m.
- Caleb Fritel (Indie Thursday) – Renaissance Hollywood Hotel at 7:30 p.m.
Friday, June 10:
- Atlantic/Pacific, Goldenboy, The 88, Lakes, Threes & Nines, Hurtbird, Brothers Young – Hotel Café at 7 p.m.
- Deftones, Dillinger Escape Plan, Le Bucherettes – Hollywood Palladium at 7 p.m.
- Friendly Fires, Wise Blood – The Music Box at 9 p.m.
- DJ Dan, Boy 8-Bit, Rico Tubbs, Cameron Angeli (CONTROL Fridays) Avalon at 9:30 p.m.
- El Camino Real, Eight Way Star, Growl – Bardot at 10 p.m.
- Feed Me, Figure, Dirty Talk (Late Night Beatdown) The Music Box at 11:30 p.m.
Saturday, June 11:
- The Roots with special guest Terrence Blanchard, Fourplay, Eddie Palmieri Salsa Orchestra, SFJAZZ Collective Celebrating the Music of Stevie Wonder, A Night in Treme, Cos of Good Music, Ambrose Akinmusire Quartet, The LAUSD All City High School Big Band ( 33rd Annual Playboy Jazz Festival) – Hollywood Bowl at 3 p.m.
- Brother Sal, Jake Walden, Will Hutchinson, Tallboys, Madras, The Ultimate Bearhug – Hotel Café at 7 p.m.
- Jethro Tull – Greek Theatre at 7:30 p.m.
- Jenny and Johnny, La Sera, Nik Freitas – The Music Box at 7 p.m.
- A Summer Night in Korea: Film, Music, Food and More – Ford Amphitheatre at 8:30 p.m.
- Paul Van Dyk – Hollywood Palladium at 9 p.m.
- Fedde Le Grand – The Music Box at 9 p.m.
- Nic Fanciulli, Android Cartel, Fredo – Avalon at 9:30 p.m.
Sunday, June 12:
- Harmony 3, Buddy Guy, Still Black, Still Proud: An African Tribute to James Brown, Naturally 7, Bill Cunliffe and the Resonance Big Band, John Scofield and Robben Ford, Lee Konitz New Quartet, Geri Allen and her Timeline Band, Carlos Varela, Pullum High School Big Band (33rd Annual Playboy Jazz Festival) – Hollywood Bowl at 3 p.m.
- Steve McMorran, Brandon Rogers, Jennifer Hirsch, Amie Miriello, Keaton Simmons, Ben Lear, Matt Beilis, Saba (Artists Who Give Back Event) – Hotel Café at 7 p.m.
- Dispatch, Stephen Marley – Greek Theatre at 7 p.m.
- Mark Lanegan, Sean Wheeler, Zander Schloss – Hollywood Forever Cemetery at 8 p.m.